tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 27 09:30:28 2004

Re: {'Iv}

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 [email protected] wrote:
> other language) is irrelevant.  The question is:  Can Klingon have verbless
> sentences?  My limited experience tells me "no".

Depends on a number of factors.  Do you consider a sentence such as
/tlhIngan maH/ as "verbless"?  Do you consider /HIja'/ a sentence unto
itself?

I would be inclined to agree with you; a "complete" Klingon sentence (very
important distinction, I think) must have a verb.  The construction of "To
Be" uses pronouns to "act as" verbs, but then arguably, a sentence like
/tlhIngan maH/ does have a verb; it is /maH/.

Of course, if you answer those first two questions differently, then you
get different results.  ;)  YMMV.

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
        "I used to be confused, but now I'm just not sure."

Back to archive top level