tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 19 10:46:51 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: toy'wI''a' (n)

Voragh:
> >> DIHIvbej [pagh] qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a' DImoj. (??)
> >> Attack or be slaves in their world.  ST6

If you listen to scene, the actor says {DIHIvbe[X?] qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a'
DImoj} - omitting something between the first two words if we go by the
subtitle.  OTOH, as it is this may be a case of a *very* colloquial elision:

   DIHIvbe', qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a' DImoj.
   We don't attack, we'll be slaves in their world.
   ["(If) We don't attack (them), we'll be(come) slaves in their world."]

ghunchu'wI':
> > I think this is more likely to be {DIHIvbe'chugh qo'chajDaq...}

But I like your suggestion better.  I guess I just wanted to use the
conjunction {pagh} "or, or else, either/or".

lay'tel:
>It definitely *sounds* more Okrandian with {-chugh}.  As far as I can tell,
>Okrand has never used {pagh} in this sense of "or (else)".

   bISoptaH pagh bItlhutlhtaH
   You are either eating or else you are drinking. TKD

   taH pagh taHbe'
   "To be or not to be." ST6/KGT

   taQ pagh taQbe'
   To be weird or not to be weird. KGT (p.194)

   HeghDI' tlhIngan SuvwI' pagh tlhIngan SuvwI' HoHlu'DI'
   When a Klingon warrior dies or is killed... S31

   vIpollaH pagh vIpolHa'laH
   I can either keep it or I can discard it. KGT

   DapollaH pagh DapolHa'laH
   You can either keep it or you can discard it. KGT

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level