tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 18 07:28:29 2004

Re: bey

>ja' Voragh:
> >>mabey.  qen Hegh j'puq.  batlh pevuttaH!

ghobe'.  mu'meyvetlh vIqonpu'be'.

> >   It is not possible here to give detailed accounts of how to prepare
> >   specific dishes or even to list all of the ingredients. Nor is it
> >   possible to explain and compare the cuisines of different regions
> >   and planets within the Empire. For detailed information of that kind,
> >   the best source is probably {jabmeH} by J'puq (the title means "In
> >   Order to Serve"; it is a cookbook).                    [KGT p.86]

ghunchu'wI':
>And the author's name seems to be a slight corruption of {jIpuQ} "I am fed
>up", which continues the Twilight Zone reference.

taD:
>>Daj - {choS mIch} much pong rurbej {jabmeH}. 'a {jIpuQ}'e' 'oSbe'law'
>>{J'puq}.
>>J'puq = J. Child = Julia Child, the recently deceased famous chef.

{jabmeH} as the title of a cookbook is a nice nod to the Twilight Zone
episode "To Serve Man" and J'puq is clearly a pun on Julia Child.  I hadn't
noticed {jIpuQ} "I am fed up" before; could this be a double pun on
Okrand's part?  Puns within puns?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons