tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 18 06:43:14 2004

Re: Direct quote of written statement

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dar'Qang" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 10:55 PM
Subject: Direct quote of written statement

> Do we have a specified way for quoting a written statement? The object of
> {ghItlh} seems to be the item written upon (i.e., {nav}).

I'm not so sure I completely agree with that. AFAIK (and feel free to
correct me) we've never seen {ghItlh} used with an object. Therefore, I
avoid using an object with {ghItlh} until we see otherwise. I would express
the idea of {nav vIghItlh} as {navDaq jIghItlh} "I write on the paper"

> I'm not completely sure about the object of {qon}, but my sense is that
{mu'tlhegh
> vIqon} would be a valid usage, but not a direct quote of the thing
written.

vaj maQochbe'. I have that sense, too.

However, I'm a little more confident about the object of {qon}. It is the
thing recorded or composed. One can {qon} music and stories, so why not
{mu'tlheghmey}, if they are committed to writing?

> One possibility is to go ahead and use the verbs of saying for writing:
>
> nav vIghItlh. jIjatlh .....

::winces:: I'm not nuts about it, either...

> Otherwise, I'm thinking of doing something like:
>
> nav vIghItlh. mu'tlhegh vIqon. mu'tlheghvam jatlhlu'DI' jatlhlu' ........
>
> In order to specify the content of a sentence that I wrote on paper.

Whoa. I think that's way too much.

In the past, I've modelled sentences like this after our knowledge of direct
spoken quotes in Klingon:

{jIjatlh:<<Blah, blah, blah>>} or {<<blah, blah, blah>> jIjatlh}
"I said "blah, blah, blah"

but I use {qon}:
{jIqon: <<blah, blah, blah>>}
I wrote "blah, blah, blah"