tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 17 13:57:18 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: mojaq (n)

Voragh:
> >WILD SPECULATION ALERT...
> >It's almost certainly a coincidence, but I cannot help but noticing that
> >while there's only one type of prefix in Klingon (for verbs), there are two
> >different sets of suffixes:  one for verbs and the other for nouns.  If by
> >some chance it's not a typo, *perhaps* {mojaq} means "(verb) suffix" -
> >based purely on the similar ending of {moHaq} - and {mojaQ} "(noun)
> >suffix".  Just because we use the same word "suffix" for both nouns and
> >verbs doesn't mean that Klingon grammarians do.

lay'tel SIvten:
>That would be a useful distinction and it would be nice for both words to
>have a useful and distinct meaning, but it would also mean there would be
>no term left to cover *both* types of suffix at the same time.

But that's exactly my point:  Why does there have to be?  Why assume that
Klingon grammarians have one word for both types of suffix just because we
do?

Our words focus on them being bits added on or in words (SUFfix, PREfix,
INfix and AFfix).  Klingon grammarians *may* see them instead as being a
more integral part of the word.  If they have two different words, that may
reflect a view that they're more verb- or noun-related rather than
something just added on.

But this is just wild speculation on a slow afternoon.  No doubt, it's just
a typo.  {{;-(

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons