tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 03 11:19:58 2003

Re: Missing lines from ST5

Okrand's ST5 notes read:
>[Korrd: DungDaq legh 'ej QotnIStaH romuluSngan be'pu'
>         Romulan women belong on their backs!]

Voragh commented:
>  (Hmm... Should this be {DubDaq}??)

naHQun responded:
>I don't think so, I like the way it's phrased there.
>I translated it something like:
>
>   Romulan women need to recline continuously and see the area overhead;
>   or in other words, like the translation says, be on their backs.
>
>It strikes me as a very clever translation.

Now that I consider it, I think you're quite right.  When he has time,
Okrand often avoids the more obvious translation.  I was fixating on the
similarity between {Dub} and {Dung}, imagining it to be a typo or look-up
error for:

   DubDaq QotnIStaH romuluSngan be'pu'

but I forgot to see that there were two separate clauses.

No wonder the line (in both languages) was cut from the final script!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level