tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 24 14:32:05 2003

RE: (KLBC) Is this right?

Dlorah wrote:

> >> {tuvtaHghach} works very well because of the nature of
> >> being patient: it's something you do over time.
> >
> > I like it because someone
> > who isn't *continuously* patient simply isn't patient.
>
>With this explanation, we would never see tuv by itself; we would always see
>tuvtaH.

Not necessarily, although we've never seen Okrand use either form.  The
only example of any type of patience we've seen used in canon is the
antonym {boH} "be impatient":

   bIboH
   You are impatient. KGT

   bIboH.  yIjotchoH
   You're impatient. Calm down! KGT

I can see {tuv} being used without {-taH}:

   loD tuv ghaHbe' wo'rIv'e'.
   Worf is not a patient man. [by nature]

   tuv wo'rIv.
   Worf is patient. [by nature]

   tuvbe' wo'rIv.
   Worf is not patient. [by nature]

or with {-taH}:

   qatlh tuvtaH wo'rIv?
   Why is Worf being so patient?  Why is Worf still patient?

or even both forms - e.g. a captain's instructions to his gunner:

   nughoSlI' Dop.  yItuv!
   The target is approaching.  Be patient.

   wej yIbaH!  yItuvtaH!
   Don't fire yet! (Continue to) Be patient.  [a few moments later]

None of which changes my opinion that *{tuvtaHghach} works quite well for
the noun "patience" - particularly as a state of being.  BTW *{jottaHghach}
"tranquility" (i.e. a state of continued calm) works for the same reasons.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level