tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 21 18:15:50 2003

Re: "Star Mitzvah" sound file?

ja' ngabwI':
>I was absolutely unable to make out any of it, just by listening. Who
>figured out what he was saying, and how did they do it?

I used a combination of the Closed Caption text, the "English translation"
provided by young Berman, and my years of exposure to the almost
predictable mispronunciations of the actors on Star Trek: The Next
Generation.

If you choose the correct sound-to-text mapping and write down the sounds
that Kelsey Grammer is speaking, you can approximate the text he's reading
from.  Then you can read that text with a different text-to-sound mapping
and produce what he *should* have been saying.

"poe oak lode wee le kowe-owe" is what he says at the beginning.
"pook-lode-wee le-koo" is probably what he's reading.
{puqloDwI' le'qu'} is obviously what he meant.

At the end, "showvay dah nobay powe-owe bowe-ahgh"
likely comes from "showve da-nobe-poo-boagh",
which, when pronounced appropriately, is {Sov Danobpu'bogh}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level