tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 16 09:29:11 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: targh tIq (n)

>ja' Tyler Fisher <[email protected]>:
> >As used in canon:
> >
> >  {qagh, ro'qegh'Iwchab, targh tIq Sop 'e' lungIl Humanpu' puS.}
> >  Few humans dare to eat gagh, rokeg blood pie and heart of
> >  targ. (S21)

ghunchu'wI':
>Qagh yItu'.  Dach <joq> 'ut.
>
>(Sojvam vIqelDI', motlh muSuj mu'mey "long pork".)

Hmm... you'd think so, but I have the same text in my notes:

              T.N.G. EPISODES SERIES (4th SEASON): CARD S21
                    (Published in HolQeD 5.2:14)

                                 Soj
                             Klingon Food

   yIntaHbogh tlhIngan Soj tlhol jablu'DI' tIvqu'lu'. qagh, ro'qegh'Iwchab,
    targh tIq Sop 'e' lungIl Humanpu' puS.
   Klingon food is best when served fresh and live. Few humans dare to eat
    gagh, rokeg blood pie, or heart of targ.

I'll have to check that issue of HolQeD when I get home tonight.  If anyone
has a copy of card S21, could s/he verify the Klingon text for us?  If this
turns out to be accurate, this may imply that:

1) "obvious" conjunctions *may* *sometimes* be omitted in a long list
(three or more items) -- at least in formal writing.

2) the conjunction was omitted because it was too close to the pronoun
{'e'}.  I.e. maybe {A B C qoj VERB 'e' ...} sounds awkward to Klingons.

3) Okrand (or the editor at SkyBox) just made a mistake.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level