tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 01 15:17:03 2003

Re: reading?

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

SIv Voragh:

>nughel lay'tel SIvten:
>
>> > I am Quvar, the current Beginners' Grammarian.
>> > I'd like to tell you that it's not enough to know how to "read"
>>Klingon.
>> > This is not just a trick, it's a language.
>> > For instance, I can read Russian, but I still don't know what I'm
>>reading.
>>
>>Quvar, in what sense can you read russian if you still don't know what
>>you're
>>reading?
>
>Ya tozhe khotel by znat' otvet na etot vopros!
>
>{'e' vISov vIneH je!}

I think I understand what Quvar means. The romanized script we're using is
phonetic so you can read and pronounce even the words you don't understand.
The cyrilic script, too, is phonetic. Come to think of it, up to a point
something like this is true of my native language, or to be exact of the
Polish version of the Latin alphabet. Once you know the phonetic values of
letters you can read a text aloud even if you don't actually know Polish.
The English spelling is very different in this respect. You often can't
predict the pronunciation of words on the basis of their spelling. Think of
"oo" in 'look', 'moon', 'flood' and 'brooch'

'ISqu'

va! QInvam vIqontaHvIS DIvI' Hol neH vIlo'. 'ach DaH jImejnISmo' tlhIngan
Hol chovnatlh vIghItlhmeH poH vIHutlh.