tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 26 07:39:14 2003

Re: KLBC nuqneH!

Andrew Marrington ([email protected])

Thanks for the greetings and words of wisdom, Quvar!

> Of course, the first page of TKD tells us this is a klingon "greeting",
but it doesn't say that klingons don't
> greet each other. Actually, this is the only know word that can be
described as a greeting.
> It means literally "What do you want"?! So you see it's not "hello", but
you say it when some
> approaches you.

I figured it was a strange way to start an e-mail, but I wasn't sure what
would be the appropriate "first greeting" to the list. :)

> >tlhIngan Hol ghoj vIneH.
> If you like to say "I want to learn klingon", you need the appropriate
prefix on every verb:

>    {tlhIngan Hol vIghoj vIneH.}
>    "I want to learn klingon"

Yes, I realised that later. jIQong vIneH has since become one of my
favourite phrases. :)

> I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. Please give an
english translation in your next klbc
> messages, so that it's easier to me to correct.

Yes, well, my first e-mail was basically me leaping right into translating a
rather lengthy poem, which the FAQ very wisely advises newbies to NOT do.
What I was trying to say was:

> wa'Hu', qatlhobpu' laD rolaD bomwIj. DaH, pIj tlhobpu' yu'mey vIlaDta' 'ej
jiSov wej *rolaD bom* mugh, 'ach chaq, Do', 'e' jang vay'.

"Yesterday, I asked you to read my *rolaD bom* (Song of Roland). Now, I have
read the frequently asked questions and know not to try to translate the
Song of Roland yet, but perhaps, with luck, somebody will respond to that
(ie my rolaD bom e-mail)."

Basically, it was me apologising for not reading the FAQ before leaping in
and trying something stupid! I've stopped my amateurish translation, but I
was still interested to hear people's thoughts about the verse I did
translate.

> >DaH qaghoS,
>
> You've used the prefix {qa-} very often in this mail, and never {Sa-}, but
I think you meant the latter
> since you talk to everyone on the list.
>
> {qa-} "I - you (sg.)"
> {Sa-} "I - you all (pl.)"

Yes, I certainly should've been using the plural! My dishonour is eternal!
Alas! :) I was trying to come up with something to say good bye, and the
best I could think of saying was "I leave you". How should one say goodbye?
Something about hoping the reader dies with honour perhaps? A simple
"Qapla'!"?

> Quvar
> Beginners' Grammarian
>   ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

I read this as "I care about my students". jIlugh'a'?

ma'Sa
(chu'wI')

Back to archive top level