tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 18 10:13:00 2003

Re: Word for 'shop'?

peHruS:
>>Yes, you're right. perhaps Klingons don't go to the "store=building" but
>>to the {naH Suy}? {Soj Suy}?

Also consider that Klingon shops may not be separate buildings.  They may
be rooms in a larger building open to the street on one side (e.g. stalls
in a souk/bazaar, or shops in an American-style mall).

SuSvaj:
>In power Klingon we see that this is not so.  A Terran goes into a
>merchant's shop.

Known from context.  IIRC the word "shop" isn't actually mentioned, is
it?  Certainly not in Klingon.  Even if the narrator says "shop", this
tells us nothing about the physical layout or how Klingons refer to the place.

>Though he is not fortunate enough to leave it.

Not the first time.  The second time, however, the impressed merchant
offers to take the savvy Terran to a bar and buy him a drink.

>The same tape describes Klingon shops (mentioning that they have no windows)

Hmm... I don't remember this.  Where does PK describe such shops,
particularly WRT to windows?

>and gives advice for how to behave in these shops.

The tape provides suggestions for negotiating with the merchant or {Suy},
but IIRC the Klingon word for a "shop" is not mentioned on the tape.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level