tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 05 14:08:54 2003

Re: Barclay rur ghaH

Quvar:
> >(I think I'm running out of replacement proverbs.) }}: P
>
>Time to learn some new!  (But I think there is only one more, qar'a'?)

jav quvqa'meH vIttlhegh tu'lu' 'e' vIHar:

    DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

    jagh DajeymeH nIteb yISuvrup.

    reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'.

    reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS.

    Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.

    HIvqa' veqlargh.

> >>  {wa' ghot chaH'a' Xindi ghetwI''e', Barclay ghetwI''e' je?}
> >>  "Are the Xindi actor and the Barkley actor one person?"
>
>If the verb could be used transitively - which I don't know (do we?) - I'd
>prefer to say
>
>    *Xindi Barclay je ghet'a' wa' nuv?*
>    "Does one person *act* Xindi and Barclay?"
>
>NB: As I said, IF this is possible.
>Is {ghet} only "pretend", or can it mean "pretend to be a person"? Like
>actors "play" a role.

Here's what Okrand has written about {ghet} in HQ 12.3 (p.8):

   {Qaq} "behave falsely honorably, behave in a falsely honorable manner"
   ... is used in cases where one misrepresents oneself in order to be
   accorded honor one is not entitled to, and in that way it is different
   from {toj} "deceive" and {ghet} "pretend", neither of which has this
   kind of connection to honor ... {ghet} and {ghetwI'} "pretender"
   generally do not imply deception, but simply role-playing.

Since his gloss "pretend" doesn't take an object in English, {ghet}
probably doesn't either.  (Okrand has become very careful about this - if
only to avoid the inevitable transitivity question! - and if he had meant
"pretend to be X" he probably would have said so.)  As it is, though, it's
a good equivalent for English "act" which, without a preposition, also
doesn't take an object.  However, don't forget about {Da} "behave as, act
in the manner of" - notice the preposition included in the gloss - which
apparently does require an object:

   nepwI' Daba'
   He is obviously lying. TKD

   HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.
   space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
    intrigue and enterprise... DS99

   yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq
    pIqarD HoD.
   Gowron ... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc
    Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

*IF* we can use these verbs WRT acting, {ghet} and {Da} complement each
other nicely:

   ghetchu' ghetwI'vam.
   This actor acts well.

   Barclay Da ghetwI' chu'.
   A new actor portrays (is playing) Barclay.

   ghetchu' Barclay Dabogh ghetwI''e'.
   The actor playing Barclay is quite good.

   tlhInganna' Daqu' ghetwI'vam jay'!  toH ghetchu'.
   This actor really makes a damn fine Klingon!  Boy, can he act.

And there's also {gheS} "assume duties of, take on responsibilities"
available - useful in our discussions for when an actor {ghetwI'} is first
cast to play a part, or an understudy/stand-in {lIw} or replacement
{qa'meH} assumes the role of an existing character, etc.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level