tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 05 14:38:35 2003

toH!

I often see /toH/ used for every "well," "boy," "man," and "hey" found in an
English sentence.  Captain Krankor, in a recording of /'Iv ghaH baHwI''e'/,
goes so far as to use it in places he really should be using /vaj/ (e.g.,
/baH vIra'chugh (sic) vaj baHnIS vay'.  toH, baH 'Iv?/).

THE KLINGON DICTIONARY describes /toH/ as meaning "Well! So! (excl)," and
says it is roughly equivalent to English "aha!"

We hear Commander Kruge use the word in Star Trek III (though it sounds more
like /DaH/ to me), and then slip into English: "toH!  I've come a long way
for the power of Genesis, and what do I find?  A weakling Human, a Vulcan
boy, and a woman."

It seems to me that /toH/ should be used in cases of discovery, or possibly
a sort of verbal regrouping before one summarizes the facts after a new fact
has become known.  "So!  Here's the situation now . . . ."

While I found Voragh's translations of these sentences nicely colloquial, I
don't think /toH/ is quite appropriate here.  There's no "aha!" in the
sentiment.

SuStel
Stardate 3846.2