tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 29 15:24:42 2003

Re: HoD Qanqor

Thank goodness.  It's about time I was right when it comes to Klingon :)  Thank you for your help

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:Klingon Emperor asks:

>Am I right when thinking that the subject title for this email -"HoD
>Qanqor" should actually be "Qanqor HoD?" That is the way Klingons do
>formal titles, qar'a'?

qarbej. Okrand explains the proper use of ranks and titles in KGT:

When used with an individual's name, a title follows the name: {tlha'a HoD}
(Captain Klaa), {cheng Sa'} (General Chang), {qeng la'} (Commander Kang),
and so on. (KGT 52)

If someone has an official title, such as a military rank or a position in
the government, this title follows the name; for example, {martaq Sa'}
(General Martok), {ghawran Qang} (Chancellor Gowron). When addressing such
a person, the title is left off only when the occasion is decidedly
nonofficial. (KGT 197f)

If you read the "Klingonists of Note" page for Krankor, you'll discover the
reason for his own idiosyncratic name:

/wiki/index.php?HoD%20Qanqor

Yes, {HoD Qanqor}, in that order. Captain Krankor received his title well
before the {ta' Hol} convention of placing the rank after the name became
the rule. He insists (perhaps due to a fierce loyalty to his apparent
{Sa'Qej} heritage, or perhaps due to simple stubbornness) on being
addressed
in what would normally be considered a backwards fashion."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Glory to you, and to your House.