tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 29 15:22:23 2003

Re: QelvaD chab

Got it!  Thank you!  Never knew /neH/ could follow a noun.  Damn it, so many years waisted  :)

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:DloraH:
> > Placement of /neH/ "merely, only":
> >
> > puq vIlegh - I saw the child.
> >
> > puq neH vIlegh - I saw only the child; I did't see anything/anyone
> > else.
> >
> > puq vIlegh neH - I only saw the child; I didn't talk to him, I didn't
> > touch him.

Klingon Emperor:
> > Hold on, DloraH. /neH/ can't just be placed anywhere in a sentence.
> > Page 56 of TKD explains that it must follow the verb. So your sentence
> > "puq neH vIlegh" wouldn't work. What am I missing?

DloraH:
>Read the next few sentences of that same section; TKD p56. Don't stop at the
>first sentence.

To wit:

Also unlike the other adverbials, {neH} can follow a noun. In such
cases, it means "only, alone".
{yaS neH} "only the officer, the officer alone"
{jonta' neH} "only the engine"

Some more examples of {neH} following both verbs and nouns:

baHwI' DoS yIbuS. QuQ neH. yaj'a'?
Gunner: Target engine only - Understood? ST3

yIvbeHlIj neH DapoSmoH vIneH.
The only thing I want you to open is your blouse. (ST5 notes)

Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'
Only fools laugh while warriors die. PK

qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb nganpu'
buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH. nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the menacing
profiles of their battlecruisers. SP1

not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'
Only fools have no fear. TKW

meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH
Only a fool fights in a burning house. TKW

Suvlu'taHvIS yapbe' HoS neH
Brute strength is not the most important asset in a fight. TKW

'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH
Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. TKW

wa' DoS neH yIbuS
Focus on but one target. TKW

HIvbe' qoHpu' neH
Only fools don't attack. TKW

Hegh neH chav qoH
A fool's only achievement is death. TKW

yIQeqQo' neH. DoS yIqIp
Don't just aim; hit the target! TKW

roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.
It [i.e. Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld." S27

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Glory to you, and to your House.