tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 28 22:45:57 2003

RE: KLBC: tlhIngan Hol vIghojmeH Sajatlh

QeS lagh:

> ><<nuv latlh pa' reDmey yItI' pa' reDmeylIj DalontaHvIS.>>
> >(Don't repair another man's walls and abandon your own.)

Quvar:

> {latlh} comes first: {latlh nuv} "other person"
> "Don't..." is {...-Qo'}, so "don't repair": {yItI'Qo'}
> And don't forget the imperative prefix for "you-them" {tI-}
>
>   {latlh nuv pa' reDmey tItI'Qo' pa' reDmeylIj DalontaHvIS}
>   "don't repair s.o. else's inside walls while you abandon your own"
>
> Depending on the meaning, perhaps this is better the other way around:
>   {pa' reDmeylIj tIlonQo' latlh nuv pa' reDmey DatI'taHvIS}
>   "don't abandon your inside walls while you repair s.o. else's..."
> or:
>   {latlh nuv pa' reDmey DatI'taHvIS pa' reDmeylIj tIlonQo'
>   "while you repair s.o. else's inside walls, don't abandon your own."
>
> Other possible words, instead of {pa'reD}:
>   {tlhoy'}, {reD}
>
> (repairing a wall seems to be about building a house or so,
> but the "interior face of a wall" {pa' reD}, can only be
> painted or redecorated with a wallpaper.)
>
> >Do we even know what <<reD>> means?)
>
> {reD} n. "exterior wall" (that is, a wall which separates the
> inside of a building from the outside) {pa' reD} n. "interior
> face of exterior wall"

Given the origin of the proverb, "wall" is most likely referring to the
walls or fences that separate one piece of land from another rather than the
walls of a building. The most appropriate word for this would be <tlhoy'>,
which is used for both interior walls (e.g. the wall separating my office
from that of my neighbor) and walls or fences (or maybe even hedges) between
different pieces of land.

pagh

Back to archive top level