tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 26 12:25:01 2003

difference between "to be" and "to be"

In Portuguese (my mother tongue) and in Spanish, there's a very
important difference between "to be" (ser) and "to be" (estar).

Estou feliz. = I'm happy (now, today, at the period of the speech).

Sou feliz. = I'm happy (I've been being happy, I'm happy now and
I'll likely go on being happy for a unspecified period in the future).

I can see no easy way to express this distinction in many tera'
languages. I wonder if the use of the ongoing suffix would mark this
distinction in Klingon.

Supposedly:

jIbuD. (I'm lazy, and that's a personal feature of mine).

jIbuDtaH. (I feel lazy, I have no desire to do anything at this
moment).

Clayton Cardoso, novwI'
ET__{-_-}
ICQ 14972249