tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 17:42:14 2003

Re: 10 000 things [Was: Re: Tao Te Ching Chp. 34]

ja' 'ISqu':
>When I started to post my translation I decided against "the myriad
>things/creatures" simply because I didn't want some literary-minded soul to
>say "Hey, there is no <myriad> in the Kligon text. It has <wa'netlh> in it."

But "myriad" *is* literally "ten thousand", which is why I suggested it as
a translation of Klingon {wa'netlh}.  Look it up.  It mirrors very closely
the Chinese "wan4 wu4" by having both literal and idiomatic usage.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level