tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 17:42:20 2003

Re: tlhobqa'qu' taghwI'

ja'pu' QeS lagh:
>DIp mu'tlheghDaq <<nuq>> <<'Iv>> ghap vIlo'laH'a'? SachuH:
>
>Can I say, for instance, <<be'etor nuq DaSuchtaH>> "What thing of B'Etor's
>are you looking for?" I could find nothing in TKD about it.

ja' Voragh:
>...you're right; it's not addressed in TKD.  Although I admire your
>solution - {be'etor nuq} "B'Etor's what" - {nuq} "what" doesn't work this
>way in Klingon.

Why not?  It seems to follow all the rules we know.

>The way to say this is as a command, not a question:
>
>   be'etor Doch Danejbogh yIngu'!
>   Identify the thing of B'Etor that you're looking for!
>
>This use of a relative clause sounds awkward in English, but apparently
>it's common in Klingon.

It's the way Okrand explained how to do it when the question is "Which
thing of hers are you seeking?"  If the question is "What of hers..." then
using {be'etor nuq} seems to work fine.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level