tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 20 18:25:19 2003

Re: tlhobqa'qu' taghwI'

ghItlh voragh:

>First, {Such} is "visit".  The verb you want is {nej} is "look for, seek,
>search for".

qatlho'. mumISmoHpu' "German" Hol wot "suchen". yabwIj Dabbogh Holmey mu'
'oH Hutvagh'e'. (tagha', mu'vetlh vIlo'laH. :D)

>Second, you're right; it's not addressed in TKD.  Although I admire your
>solution - {be'etor nuq} "B'Etor's what" - {nuq} "what" doesn't work this
>way in Klingon.  The way to say this is as a command, not a question:
>
>   be'etor Doch Danejbogh yIngu'!
>   Identify the thing of B'Etor that you're looking for!
>
>This use of a relative clause sounds awkward in English, but apparently
>it's common in Klingon.

qatlho'qa'. tlhIngan Hol DelwI' pab vIchenmoHtaHvIS, jItlhob'egh.
tlhob QonoS "Lingua": "What elements of noun phrases can be questioned?"
(*Lingua Questionnaire*; chovnatlh 42.1, 'ay' wa', DIS: wa'SaD Hutvatlh
SochmaH Soch), 'ej vIjang vIneHpu'.
Thanks a second time. While I was trying to write some of a Klingon
descriptive grammar, I asked myself this question. The journal "Lingua" asks
in its descriptive grammar questionnaire "What elements of noun phrases can
be questioned?" I just wanted to answer that question.

tlhIngan Hol DelwI' pab wIchenmoH luneH'a' naDev HolQeD yabpu'? (*Paramount*
chaw'mo'. :S)
Have the linguistically minded among us thought about composing a
descriptive grammar of Klingon? (With Paramount's (eventual) permission, of
course :S

Qapla',

QeS lagh

<<lojmIt qa'anglaH neH. lojmItvetlh Da'elnIS SoH.>> (I can only show you the
door; you are the one who has to walk through it.) - Laurence Fishburne, The
Matrix

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get five times more storage - 10MB
in your Hotmail account. Go to
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au

Back to archive top level