tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 00:38:56 2003

Re: the glottal stop

>In English, to indicate that there is no glottal stop preceding a word
>that begins with a vowel, we use an "h".  Consider "hate" and "ate".
>They have the same sounds but for the glottal stop that begins the
>latter.

nuqjatlh?  If you are not a native English speaker, you've made a mistake.
If you are, your dialect must be quite different from mine.  In my dialect,
'h' is a separate sound, not merely the lack of a glottal stop.  Consider
the sentences 'he eats' and 'he heats'.  In my dialect, there is no glottal
stop in either sentence, and yet the words 'eats' and 'heats' are easily
distinguishable.

Also note (as shown above in 'he eats') that the glottal stop only intrudes
if there's no previous consonant sound.  In the sentence 'I ate an apple',
only the first vowel has a glottal stop in front of it (in my dialect).
(Unless you're enunciating each word carefully, and therefore pronouncing it
in isolation).  In the Klingon sentence {'och 'el 'av}, each word has a
glottal stop at the beginning.

-Sangqar