tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 29 23:44:00 2003

Re: the glottal stop

ja' Sangqar:
>...In my dialect,
>'h' is a separate sound, not merely the lack of a glottal stop.  Consider
>the sentences 'he eats' and 'he heats'.  In my dialect, there is no glottal
>stop in either sentence, and yet the words 'eats' and 'heats' are easily
>distinguishable.

vaj pImbej QIchmaj.  There is definitely a glottal stop in the middle of
"he eats" when *I* say it, whether I'm being extremely careful or not.

>Also note (as shown above in 'he eats') that the glottal stop only intrudes
>if there's no previous consonant sound.  In the sentence 'I ate an apple',
>only the first vowel has a glottal stop in front of it (in my dialect).

I get a distinct glottal stop before "I", "ate", and "apple", myself.  I
can feel an attempt one before "an" as well, but it's masked by the "t"
sound at the end of "ate".  If I try to be intentionally oversmooth and
avoid glottal stops, it comes out more like "I hate napple."

>(Unless you're enunciating each word carefully, and therefore pronouncing it
>in isolation).

Careful enunciation is still possible in flowing speech.  Indeed, I cannot
avoid a glottal stop in "he eats", no matter how carelessly I enunciate.  I
must explicitly try to say "heats" in order not to get one.

>In the Klingon sentence {'och 'el 'av}, each word has a
>glottal stop at the beginning.

In Klingon, the glottal stop is an explicit phoneme, as basic as "p" is in
English.  It's like saying "Pigs pack punches" has a "p" at the beginning
of each word.  To compare with English glottal stops, you'd have to find a
feature of Klingon pronunciation that doesn't get transcribed.  Maybe the
variant sound of the Klingon vowel {I} would be a good analogy.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level