tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 23 00:09:52 2003

DIp Dabogh <<-bogh>> mu'

Savan.

KCDvo' mu'tlheghvam tu'lu' 'e' vIQoy:
Recently, I heard that the following sentence is present on KCD:

<<Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'>>
"I don't understand what you just said."

mu'tlheghvam lulo'be'lu' 'e' vIHar; 'ach <<canon source>>vo' wIghajlaw'.
Satlhob:
I believe the sentence isn't used in the program, but we apparently have it
from a canon source. I ask:

chay' DuH? DIp Hutlh mu' wa'DIch; "what you say" jatlh. wot lo'lu' DIp
mughmeH; vaj "nominalised" wotHey wIghajlaw' 'ej mojaqmey <<-wI'>>
<<-ghach>> Hutlh. Hat 'e' vIHarpu'; mu'tlheghvam wIlajlaH'a', pagh
lughuntaHvIS luQaghlu''a'?
How is this possible? The first word/clause lacks a verb; it's saying
basically "what you say" as a noun phrase. It uses a verb to translate a
noun, and thus we seem to have a (quasi-)nominalised verb without
nominalising suffixes. I thought this was illegal, since the Klingon
relative does not act as a relative pronoun. Is this sentence acceptable, or
has an error been bade during programming?

'ej <<'e'>>mey law' <<-bogh>>mey law' joq wIlo'laH'a'? jItlhob'eghbejlI'qu'.
As well, can we use multiple instances of <<'e'>> or of <<-bogh>> in a
single sentence? (This is a question which has plagued me for quite a
while.)

SachuH: ??<<jIval 'e' qaSmoH ghojmoHwI'wI' 'e' boHarlaw'>> "you seem to
believe that my teacher made me smart" jIjatlhlaH'a'?

'ej: ??<<DIp Dabogh <<-bogh>> lo'bogh mu'>> "a word using <<-bogh>> which
behaves as a noun" jIjatlhlaH'a'?

Savanqa' 'ej taHtaHjaj tuqraj.

QeS lagh

PS. qID Sanob: <<qojvo' yIt cha' mIl'oD. pum pum.>> ("Two sabre bears walk
off a cliff. Boom boom.") (:S I know it's pathetic, but it actually
translated better than I thought it would. Do Klingon comedians have drum
fills??)

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get larger attachments -
send/receive up to 2MB attachments (up to 100 percent more per e-mail). Go
to  http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au

Back to archive top level