tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 22 16:20:24 2003

Re: KLBC Re: tlhingan Hol vIghojmeH Sajatlh

chepqu' wrote:
>I'm a beginner too.

Hello, and welcome to the list, chepqu'!
My name is Quvar, and... nevermind, I'm just kidding! ;-)

>Expect plenty of errors from me, hopefully not.

Very good!
Here's an advice for those who do NOT write any messages:
It's the best way to avoid mistakes, but you will never really learn anything (ja, euch meine ich! ;-)
Just   w r i t e   anything, and learn from your mistakes.

Okay, then let's correct them now:.

>je ghojwI' jIH.

{je} meaning "also, too" follows the verb. Oops! - there is no verb? Well, in this sentence, the
pronoun {jIH} somehow includes the idea of a verb, and could be translated "I am". So we come to:

{ghojwI' jIH je}

>jIHvo' Qagh law' yIpIH.

Good, except for the prefix: "you (imp.) expect them!" - {tIpIH}

Remember the TKW-phrase #106 {pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach}
means "Curse well!", but literally, "shoot [them] curses forcefully"

>pagh vItul.

this is "I hope nothing",
so it means that you do NOT hope. You don't hope anything. Nothing at all.

The problem is the following:
You wrote "Expect plenty of errors from me, hopefully not".
That's one sentence, and somehow everyone knows what you do hope, and what the "not" refers to.

But in Klingon you made it two sentences, and the second had no connection to the first. You need
to add a verb verb or a noun, which explains more precisely what you hope.
e.g.:
  "I hope that I don't make a mistake"
  "I hope that there is no mistake"

By the way, in Klingon it's very usual to repeat a word or even half a sentence. In english this might
look strange or redundant, but in Klingon, sometimes it's just better, or must be done to avoid
confusion.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH.