tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 16:14:06 2003

Re: RE: tlhobqa'qu' taghwI'

Jeremy Cowan:
> > What does "DelmeH pab" mean?  How do I parse that?  "Grammar to describe
> > it," doesn't make any sense to me.

SuStel:
>I used /DelmeH pab/ as "grammar for describing."  This was my attempt to
>express "descriptive grammar," a concept we have no knowledge of how to
>communicate in Klingon.  I thought it was marginally better than /DelwI'
>pab/ "thing which describes' grammar."
>
>Purpose clauses can modify nouns as well as verbs.  For instance, /ghojmeH
>taj/ "knife for learning."

Other examples include:

/qa'meH vIttlhegh/  "replacement proverb" ["This is the only way to say
'replacement proverb' currently, but in the past, the common term was the
lengthier /quvqa'meH vIttlhegh/, literally, 'proverb for (the purpose of)
being honored again'." (MO, HQ 5.1)

/SopmeH pa'/  "dining room, eating room"

/DevmeH paq/  "guide(book)" (the subtitle of TKW is /SuvwI' DevmeH paq/ "A
Warrior's Guide".)

/QongmeH Duj/  "sleeper ship"

/ngongmeH Duj/  "experimental ship, prototype" (?)

/chenmoHlu'meH Daq/  "construction site"

/HoS QaymeH 'och/  "power transfer conduit"

/Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq/  "maximum effective range"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level