tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 20 18:10:46 2003

RE: DIpmey tIn chenmoH...

ja' DloraH:
>You're both saying how these words are not "legitimate", but meanwhile this
>thread has already quoted TKD...

Yes, but the quote is not sufficiently clear to settle the debate.  The
trouble is with the distinction between "compound noun" and "noun-noun
construction".

   "... it is possible to combine nouns in the manner
   of a compound noun to prodouce a new construct..."

The resulting construct is then clearly identified as a noun-noun, leaving
open the question of whether one may coin true compound nouns.

I've already put forth my position: compound nouns aren't "created" in the
first place, at least not intentionally.  They just "happen" as a result of
common usage.  Perhaps a comprehensive Klingon dictionary might try to
point out the first use of a compound noun, but it wouldn't be in the
dictionary unless most people knew the word anyway.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level