tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 19 04:46:55 2003

Re: TKD - vocabulary

In many ways I find it sad that Klingons would not know these terms -
primarily from TOS - a couple from TNG. But, I guess the langauge has drawn
a few not Trek fans to it and that's a good thing.

See below for more clarification of terms

My Two Strips of Latinum Worth

Carol (Lady K'Lyssia) Hightshoe
Don't Write What You Know; Write What You Care About--Passionately!
Available Publications - http://www.klyssia.com/MarketPlace1.html
A Study of Klingon Genetics (Where Did Those Ridges Come From?)
Captain's Log, Stardate ...
Midnight Song (Romantic Fantasy Short Story)

>At 01:48 AM 5/19/2003 -0700, QaroH wrote:
>>Hallo, can anyone help me understand a few words from TKD that I
>>encountered and so far not fully grok?
>
>From: Tad Stauffer <[email protected]>

>Most of these are Star Trek terms, so fortunately you won't need to use
>most of them unless you are describing a Star Trek episode.
>
>>bIreQtagh - bregit lung. What is this?
>It's a type of Klingon food, and appears in the Star Trek: Klingon! CD-ROM
>game (abbreviated KCD). A "bregit" might be an animal, or it might be just
>the name of this type of food. I don't think we know.

It also appeared in a TNG episode - the one where Riker served as an
exchange officer onboard a Klingon ship the Pagh (sp). From the appearance
of the food this is a literal translation. While we are never introduced to
the type of creature a Bregit is the dish did have the appearance of being a
lung.

>>DenIb Qatlh ­ Denebian slime devil. Some animal?
>Correct - I believe it was used as an insult in one of the episodes. Note
>that it is also {DenIbya' Qatlh}, in the English-Klingon half of the
>dictionary.

The episode The Trouble With Tribbles (TOS) A classic episode that features
the Klingons and introduced us to Koluth. - the insult was directed at Kirk
with the implication that we was spineless and weak.

>>qevaS ­ kevas. What is it?
>In one of the old Star Trek episodes, Spock disguised himself and pretended
>to be a dealer in Kevas {qevaS} and Trillium {DIlyum}. I believe these are
>some type of mineral or something similar.

The episode Errand of Mercy (TOS) Again a classic episode featuring Klingons
and introduced us to Kor.

>>qelI’qam - kellicam. What is it? Some unit of measure, I suppose.
>A measure of distance; I believe 1 kellicam = 2 kilometers.

If you watch the movies and TNG episodes that feature Klingons, who will be
able to conclude that his is indeed a unit of distance.

>>Qab ­ theragen. What is it?
>I believe this one is a type of Klingon nerve gas. (Whether it's nerve gas
>that works on Klingons, or a nerve gas that was invented/used by Klingons,
>I don't know)

Invented by the Klingons as explained in TOS episode The Tholian Web. McCoy
used a diluted form of theragen to counteract the effects of the space the
Enterprise was in.

>>tIjwI’ghom - boarding party. Does this mean a group of people who eat
>>together, or a group of people who together attack another ship?

>>tIjwI' - boarder. This means eater are attacker?

>>tIj - eat or attack?

>{tIj} is listed as "board, go aboard". The "go aboard" part indicates that
>it does not refer to food (room & board). So {tIjwI'} is literally "one who
>goes aboard", and {tIjwI'ghom} would be a group going onto a ship  (and
>probably attacking the crew, since that's what Klingons do).
>
>>toplIn ­ topaline. What is it?
>This one I don't know; I think it's some type of mineral that was mentioned
>in another Star Trek episode.

It is a mineral that is used in several key systems to include life support
- The Federation and the Empire were both negotiating for the rights to mine
this mineral in TOS episode Friday's Child. (if my memory is correct) I know
believe it was mentioned in TNG as well, but can't place it at this time.