tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 19 11:26:06 2003

Re: TKD - vocabulary

Carol (Lady K'Lyssia) Hightshoe wrote:
>>At 01:48 AM 5/19/2003 -0700, QaroH wrote:
>>>Hallo, can anyone help me understand a few words from TKD that I
>>>encountered and so far not fully grok?
>>
>>From: Tad Stauffer <[email protected]>
>>>bIreQtagh - bregit lung. What is this?
>>It's a type of Klingon food, and appears in the Star Trek: Klingon!
>>CD-ROM game (abbreviated KCD). A "bregit" might be an animal, or it might
>>be just the name of this type of food. I don't think we know.
>
>It also appeared in a TNG episode - the one where Riker served as an
>exchange officer onboard a Klingon ship the Pagh (sp). From the appearance
>of the food this is a literal translation. While we are never

On the Rotarran, Ch'Targ poured almost an entire bottle of grapok sauce
onto Alexander's bregit lung, saying that it "brings out the flavor." (DS9
"Soldiers of the Empire")

>introduced to the type of creature a Bregit is the dish did have the
>appearance of being a lung.

It was shown on KCD where it was described as:

    Breathing organ of any of a number of Klingon beasts, prepared in a
    manner that preserves its tough texture and blotched color.

This would imply that {bIreQ} is not a type of animal, but rather a style
of preparing lungs.  Cf. the description of {voDleH Ha'DIbaH} "emperor's
meat" or {wamwI' Ha'DIbaH} "hunter's meat" in KGT.

>>>qelI'qam - kellicam. What is it? Some unit of measure, I suppose.
>>A measure of distance; I believe 1 kellicam = 2 kilometers.
>
>If you watch the movies and TNG episodes that feature Klingons, who will
>be able to conclude that his is indeed a unit of distance.

We first heard it used extensively in ST3, where we learned inter alia that
the attack (firing) range for a 23rd century  B'rel-class Bird-of-Prey is
approximately 1500 kellicams.

>>>toplIn ­ topaline. What is it?
>>This one I don't know; I think it's some type of mineral that was
>>mentioned in another Star Trek episode.
>
>It is a mineral that is used in several key systems to include life
>support - The Federation and the Empire were both negotiating for the
>rights to mine this mineral in TOS episode Friday's Child. (if my memory
>is correct) I know believe it was mentioned in TNG as well, but can't
>place it at this time.
>>
>>- taD

In Keith R.A. DeCandido's pro novel "Diplomatic Implausibility", rich
deposits of topaline are also found on a frozen planet in the Korvad system
called ... wait for it ... {taD}!  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons