tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 19 04:27:37 2003

Re: TKD - vocabulary

At 01:48 AM 5/19/2003 -0700, QaroH wrote:
>Hallo, can anyone help me understand a few words from TKD that I
>encountered and so far not fully grok?

Most of these are Star Trek terms, so fortunately you won't need to use
most of them unless you are describing a Star Trek episode.

>bIreQtagh - bregit lung. What is this?
It's a type of Klingon food, and appears in the Star Trek: Klingon! CD-ROM
game (abbreviated KCD). A "bregit" might be an animal, or it might be just
the name of this type of food. I don't think we know.

>DenIb Qatlh ­ Denebian slime devil. Some animal?
Correct - I believe it was used as an insult in one of the episodes. Note
that it is also {DenIbya' Qatlh}, in the English-Klingon half of the
dictionary.

>qevaS ­ kevas. What is it?
In one of the old Star Trek episodes, Spock disguised himself and pretended
to be a dealer in Kevas {qevaS} and Trillium {DIlyum}. I believe these are
some type of mineral or something similar.

>qelI’qam - kellicam. What is it? Some unit of measure, I suppose.
A measure of distance; I believe 1 kellicam = 2 kilometers.

>Qab ­ theragen. What is it?
I believe this one is a type of Klingon nerve gas. (Whether it's nerve gas
that works on Klingons, or a nerve gas that was invented/used by Klingons,
I don't know)

>tIjwI’ghom - boarding party. Does this mean a group of people who eat
>together, or a group of people who together attack another ship?
>tIjwI' - boarder. This means eater are attacker?
>tIj - eat or attack?
{tIj} is listed as "board, go aboard". The "go aboard" part indicates that
it does not refer to food (room & board). So {tIjwI'} is literally "one who
goes aboard", and {tIjwI'ghom} would be a group going onto a ship  (and
probably attacking the crew, since that's what Klingons do).

>toplIn ­ topaline. What is it?
This one I don't know; I think it's some type of mineral that was mentioned
in another Star Trek episode.

- taD

Back to archive top level