tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 17 03:55:09 2003

Re: DIpmey tIn chenmoH...

ja' SuStel:
>What is possible is the creation of a noun-noun construct, which is not a
>compound noun.

I agree completely with this interpretation.  However...

>I don't accept the word */muDDuj/.  Yes, we know what it means, but it's not
>a "legitimate compound noun," as described in TKD.

...TKD does tell how compound nouns arise.  It's not because they are
"created", but because they are "common".  If a string of nouns gets used
often enough, the boundary between words stops being important.  The only
reason we don't consider novel compounds "legitimate" is because we've
agreed among ourselves that *we* don't add words to the dictionary.

Because we maintain that *we* don't define usage, *we* can't make a
"legitimate compound noun".  But the truth is that we *do* have a
non-native standard of usage, and we *do* have certain turns of phrase that
we prefer over others.  As much as we try to stay completely within the
predefined boundaries of TKD etc., e *do* end up with common strings of
nouns which probably deserve to be noted in some sort of "local" addendum
to the official dictionary.

>Encouraging casual
>creation of new compound nouns will encourage casual creation of hindsight
>words.

I too think "casual creation" is a bad thing.  But for concepts like {muD
Duj} or {pem Hov}, which are both reasonably understandable and reasonably
common, I have absolutely no problem accepting their use as compound nouns.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level