tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 16 08:02:16 2003

Re: DIpmey tIn chenmoH...

> > Can I create new compound nouns from existing monosyllabic roots?
>  [...]
> > For instance, is combining the words <<ghIch>> "nose" and <<Hom>> "bone"
> > form the compound <<ghIchHom>> "nasal bone" legal?
>  [...]
> > Or, using a number instead of a noun, <<cha'>> "two" and <<tel>> "wing"
> > combining with <<Hom>> to form <<cha'telHom>> "sphenoid bone" (having
>the
> > <<tel'a'>> and the <<telHom>>, or "greater and lesser wings"? :)
>  [...]
> > As well, what comes to your minds when I use the term <<DIp'a'>>? I was
> > wondering about the possibility of this being usable as a translation of
> > "compound noun". (Also, possibly, <<DIp chenmoHlu'bogh>>?)
>
>We can't create new compound nouns.

Very bold statement.  It's interesting that we both read the same text and
have opposite interpretations.  In particular:

>"In addition, it is
>possible to combine nouns in the manner of a compound noun to produce a new
>construct even if it is not a legitimate compound noun ('legitimate' in the
>sense that it would be found in a dictionary)."

So, it says right there in TKD that nouns can be combined to produce a new
compound noun, even though one wouldn't expect to find it in a dictionary.

And in fact we see this all the time.  Names aside (SuStel, Holtej),
speakers commonly use these constructions (something like {muDDuj} comes to
mind).  We don't expect to find it in a dictionary, but we know what is
meant.

>SuStel
>Stardate 3370.6

--Holtej 'utlh