tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 15 14:53:51 2003

Re: Shooting space garbage

marqoS:
>I'd say this is inconclusive.  "Shooting at" something is distinct
>from "shooting" something in English, and we have the {-Daq} form
>glossed as "shooting at".

Voragh:
> Where is this so glossed?  The line is "shooting space garbage", not
> "shooting AT space garbage".

It's in the syntactic expansion of the line (not the subtitle translation)
which you quoted; I assumed that part was also from Okrand.  It begins
"If he shoots at . . .".

Voragh:
> Do you mean the difference between trying to hit or shooting in the general
> direction of something vs. actually hitting it?

That's the usual distinction in English, yes.

> In ST5 Klaa wasn't merely taking idle pot shots at the probe while
> saying the line; he had already hit and destroyed it.

That's a good point - as is the fact that "at" was omitted from the
subtitle.  I'm not overwhelmed by the evidence, but it does seem as
though it's fairly safe to use {-Daq} indicate the target at which
you're aiming at the time you {bach} a weapon.

-marqoS

Back to archive top level