tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 25 14:11:46 2003

Re: Possible -wI' words

Tyler  wrote:

>Lately, I've been thinking about the suffix -wI' and how many possible
>nouns could be formed using it,
>aside from the canon ones that already exist. So I've compiled a list of
>possible verb + -wI' combinations.
>Tell me how many of these you think could be considered acceptable:

AS Quvar already mentioned, most of these look fine keeping in mind that
derived nouns of the type {VERBwI'} noun can usually mean either a person
or a thing which VERBs.  Thus a {ghItlhwI'} is attested as "stylus" (i.e.
thing which writes), but in another context it could equally mean "scribe,
secretary, amanuensis" (i.e. person who writes).  In fact, Okrand says
explicitly that

   "The word {ghItlhwI'} (literally, 'engraver') is also used for any writing
    implement as well as for any person who writes." (KGT 80)

>{HoH} = kill  *HoHwI'* = killer, slayer

{HoHwI'}  already exists as a short version of {romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej
HoHbogh nejwI'} "hunter-killer" (i.e. a Romulan assassin probe) in KCD.

It's also attested as a ship name in the novel SAREK.

>{mech} = trade  *mechwI'* = trader

Note the word {Suy} "merchant".

>{noD} = retaliate, seek revenge  *noDwI'* = avenger

We also have the noun {bortaS} "revenge".

>{ngotlh} = be fanatical  *ngotlhwI'* = fanatic

Or a "fan" for short.  *{Hov leng ngotlhwI'pu'} is often used on the List
for "Star Trek fans, Trekkers, Trekkies, etc."

>{po'} = be expert, skilled  *po'wI'* = expert, master

{po'wI'} is listed as "expert" in (KGT):

   "The nonslang term for an expert is {po'wI'} (literally, 'one who is
expert, skilled')." (KGT 159)

Cf. KGT also for the slang word {pIn} "expert, authority".

>{QIp} = be stupid  *QIpwI'* = idiot

And there's always the {qoH} "fool", an extremely common figure in Klingon
proverbs.

>{waH} = taste, try out (food)  *waHwI'* = taste tester

Maybe used for the servant who tastes your food (to see whether it's been
poisoned)?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons