tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 14 19:49:04 2003

RE: number of seasons

> weather, we don't
>
> >> the main reason they would have four seasons is they likely
> have two main
> >> extreme seasons (hot/cold, wet/dry, etc.) and two transitional seasons.
> >> only if Qo'noS's orbit is (virtually) circular and its axial tilt is
> >> (virtually) nil will there be no extreme seasons.
>
> >But why should they divide it up the same way we do?
> >With the weather we have here in Rochester, you wouldn't think
> to divide up
> >the year into four even seasons. We have a month, maybe two, of
> summer; the
> >rest is winter.
> >
> >An example, our compass has four main directions. Klingons have
> three main
> >directions; chan, 'ev, and tIng.
>
> I think it would be apropos that the Klingons have three seasons:
> living, dying, dead (i.e. spring/summer, fall, winter in our terms).
> Might explain where the whole "3" thing came from too.

chaq poH law' ghaj.  rut [wej] qelchu'be' tlhIngan mI'.  rut boq'egh [wej].
Hut QoQ wab lutu'lu'.  Hut cheb 'oS cheb'a'.  chaq Hut poH lutu'lu'.
pagh...  jarmey ghajbej 'ISjaH, 'ej not approximate tlhInganpu' net Sov.
majatlhDI' [August], summer wIqelba' je; latlh, latlh.  chaq jar neH qel
tlhInganpu'.

Maybe they have many seasons.  Sometimes klingon numbers don't strictly
consider "three".  Sometimes it is a multiple of three.  There are nine
musical notes.  A cheb'a' is nine cheb.  Perhaps there are nine seasons.
Or...  The calendar certainly has months, and it's known that Klingons never
approximate.  When we say "August", we are also obviously thinking "summer";
etc, etc.  Perhaps Klingons consider only months.

DloraH

Back to archive top level