tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 13 11:27:29 2003

forgot subject line

DIraHvIlov wrote:
>mu'mey noH yItaghbe'!

As a command, you need the suffix {-Qo'} "don't":
   {yItaghQo'} "don't start it"

>I am a complete newbee to klingon as everbody might have noticed.
>tlhIngan Hol vIpo'Ha'ba' 'e' tu' Hoch.

attention prefix: "They ... him/her/it" = {lu-}

The verb {po'} is an intransitive one, i.e. it cannot take an object:
  {jIpo'} "I am skilled"
  {jIpo'be'} "I am not skilled"
  {jIpo'Ha'} "I am unskilled"

To say that you're not good in Klingon [besides, that's not true ;-)], just say that you
"don't speak it very well":
   {tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchu'be'}

Or you can say "I am not an Klingon-expert":
   {tlhIngan Hol po'wI' jIHbe'}

To come back to your original sentence "...a complete newbee" = "a real beginner":
   {tlhIngan Hol taghwI'na' jIH}

>Anyhow I though about the klingon-letter problem a bit, too.
>'a Degh SengvaD vIQubpu'.

With {vI-}, you need an object, but when you have n#5 {-vaD}, that noun is not the
object anymore. What you said literally is "for the
symbol-trouble, I thought it." You see, in english too, there is one word you need to
cancel.
And {Qub} is just "think", not "think about". A better word here might be {buS}
"concentrate on, focus on, think only about".

   {Degh Seng vIbuSpu'}
   "I thought about the symbol-trouble"

Hey, people! There IS a Klingon writing system. It's called {pIqaD}.
   "I've been thinking only about the Klingon writing system."
   {pIqaD vIbuS}

Now look, how short this sentence has become!  :-)

>Maybe there aren't any special letter names of any kind.
>chaq not Degh pong luchenmoHlu'.
maj.

>Just think of an writing system which uses word
>symbols or syllable symbols or something like that...
>mu' Degh mu'Hom Degh ghap lo' ghItlhghagh pat yIQub!

- {Qub}: see above
- {pIqaD}: see above
- n#9 {-ghach} cannot be attached to a bare verb.
- {pat} means "system", concerning machines, like the "transporter-system" {jolpat}. It is
not used for abstract ideas of a "system", like
a pattern or a way of doing s.th. "systematically". [translate it in your mind as "machine"]
But you don't need this, because there is a word to talk about the "Klingon writing
system": {pIqaD}

>... (I better get some sleep instead of translating all this) ...
  {Hoch vImughpa' jIQongnISba'}

>However it's surely a good idea not to start flamewar of
>anykind in here, i bet
>it's not an honor to fight with words only :P
>mu'mey luSuvmoHlu' 'e' quvHa'qu'lu'!

what's {luSuvmoHlu'}?
{luSuv} "they fight him or her"
{luSuvlu'}  "they are fought", "somebody fights them"

There must be some lost rule in my mind which tells me there is something wrong with
this, but I can't find it right now. Anyone else,
please?

>qep'a' yIloS 'ej betleHwIj Dalo' 'e' yIghuS!
>Wait for the qep'a' and take a bat'leth each :)

{betleHwIj} = "my bat'leth" ?!  :-)

Did you intend to use the word {ruch}? It works perfectly here:
   {betleHlIj Dalo' 'e' yIruch}
   "Go ahead and use your bat'leth"

   {betleHraj tIyan 'e' yIruch}
   "Go ahead and use your bat'leths"