tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 12:21:31 2003

Tao Te Ching Chp. 50

50K

mayInmeH matlheD, [A]
maHeghmeH machegh.
yIn lughoSbogh wa'maH wej 'och [B] tu'lu', [C]
Hegh lughoSbogh wa'maH wej 'och tu'lu'.
wa'maH wej Hegh 'ochvam wIv nuv
vaj yIn 'ach Hegh luchollI'.
qatlh? tlhoy yIn luSaH nuv.

jatlhlu': yIntaHmeH po'chugh nuvpu'
DebDaq tangqa' vIghro''a' je ghombe' [D],
che'ronDaq may'luch poQbe'.
chaHDaq ghItlhmeH Daq tu'laHbe' tangqa'.
pachDaj lo'meH Daq tu'laHbe' vIghro''a'.
pe'meH Daq tu'laHbe' nuH.
qatlh? chaHDaq HeghvaD pagh Daq tu'lu'.

50E

We set out into life [C]
And go back into death.
Thirteen passageways lead to life,
Thirteen passageways lead to death.
People take those thirteen passageways of death
And their lives proceed toward death.
Why? People care too much about life.

It is said: those who are good at staying alive
Meet no buffaloes and tigers in the wilderness,
They've no use for armor and weapons
    on the battleground.
A buffalo can find in them no place to mark.
A tiger can find no place to claw.
A weapon can find no place to cut.
Why? There is no place in them for death.

[A] I know, the first two lines do not quite match... But I kind of like the
sound of these lines and what I'm translating is not a scientific treatise
that must be rendered just so.

[B] The thirteen passageways are supposed to be a reference to the thirteen
orifices in the human body which are like gates through which the life force
can enter or leave.

[C] I hope lines 3 and 4 are easy to understand without the {-'e'} to
indicate that the head noun is {'och}. I could have used shorter lines here
(i.e. yIn lughoS wa'maH wej 'och(mey)) but they seemed to sound weak. The
two {tu'lu'}s are slightly ungrammatical but but the full form {lutu'lu'}
seemed a little too long and – as we know from KGT and other examples – the
{lu-} prefix is often omitted:

    TKD 4.2.5.: naDev puqpu' tu'lu'
                there are children around here

    TKD p .171. There are Klingons around here.
                naDev tlhInganpu' tu'lu'

[D] While <tangqa'> is obviously not a buffalo, nor is <vIghro''a'> a tiger,
it is astounding how many Terran animals have their quasi-counterparts on
Kronos (or at least in Klingon) {{;-)

'ISqu'
http://www.geocites.com/taoteching_klingon