tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 17 14:39:58 2003

RE: Tao Te Ching Chp. 49

>>'ej Hoch lungaS qechmeyDaj 'e' chaw'.
>>lubuS nuvpu' mIn teS je:
>>puqna' Dalaw'taH ghaH.
>>And he allows his thoughts to embrace all.
>>The people fix on him their eyes and ears:
>>People listen to him and watch him closely:
>>He seems to behave like a little child.
>
>Extra sentence?  Did you leave it out on purpose?

No. I posted two English versions of the same line by mistake.
Delete the line:

   People listen to him and watch him closely

At some stage this translation seemed like a good idea but in the end I
decided against it. The one I want to stay is:

   The people fix on him their eyes and ears:

because it is closer to the original text:

     bai xing jie zhu qi er mu.
    (hundred, families, all, focus, their, ears,
     eyes [on him])

and to the Klingon translation:

    lubuS nuvpu' mIn teS je:

'ISqu'