tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 11:35:01 2003

FW: Star Trek monologue

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Boozer [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 11:43 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Star Trek monologue

ter'eS:
> >> Shouldn't this be {'enterpray' 'ejDo'}? I thought we even
> >> had canon for this.

Voragh:
> > We do:
> >
> > nImbuS wejDaq 'ejDo' 'entepray' ngeHlu'pu'
> > The starship Enterprise has been dispatched to Nimbus III. ST5
> >   [...]
> > Go figure.  As always, the Enterprise gets to break the rules!

Russ Perry Jr:
>Perhaps the Klingons speak of it in a different order to make the
>name sound even more annoying to Klingon ears?  :-)

My guess is that Okrand did it this way because "The Starship Enterprise"
has become a sort of a proper name in Trek.  Interestingly, all examples of
{'ejDo'} "starship" refer to Enterprise and all are {'ejDo' 'entepray'}
with {'ejDo'} preceding the ship's name.

>Hmm, any canon uses of "HoD Kirk" vs "Kirk HoD"?

Nope.  In fact, {qIrq} (Kirk) is never called "Captain Kirk" in canon.

>(HoD = captain, right?

Correct.  All examples of {HoD} in canon follow the name:  {janluq pIqarD
HoD} Captain Jean-Luc Picard, {qarghan HoD} Captain Kargan, {tlha'a HoD}
Captain Klaa.  This is standard practice in Klingon WRT ranks and titles:

   When used with an individual's name, a title follows the name: {tlha'a
HoD}
   (Captain Klaa), {cheng Sa'} (General Chang), {qeng la'} (Commander Kang),
   and so on. (KGT 52)

   If someone has an official title, such as a military rank or a position
in
   the government, this title follows the name; for example, {martaq Sa'}
   (General Martok), {ghawran Qang} (Chancellor Gowron). When addressing
such
   a person, the title is left off only when the occasion is decidedly
nonofficial.
   (KGT 197f)

... Krankor excepted, of course.  <g>

--