tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 08:27:00 2003

Re: -meH

> >ghojmeH taj   boy's knife ("knife for learning")
> >vutmeH 'un ("pot for preparing [food]"),
> >pe'meH taj, a "knife for cutting."
>
> >Ok, the first two could be "clipped" klingon.
> >The other three could be a null prefix for "he"{ghaH}.
>
> Could it not be just like what we know as "infinitive"?
> {pe'meH} =
>    "in order to" + "cut"
..
> >But this one:
> >>>>
> >How much do you want for that?
> >  Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH
> ><<<
> I see it as a noun-noun construction:
> We have something similar in TKD section 6.2.4:
> One could also parse this differently, and I think most people read it
> like that:
> I hope my explanations were not too confusing or crazy, and if they are,
> just read section
> 6.2.4 again, or scroll back ;-)

I agree with what you're saying.  Someone questioned the use of -meH without a
prefix.  When I looked into it, the canon examples were in third person; so if
there were prefixes, they were null prefixes.  And I couldn't find anywhere
that it states specificly either way, prefix or no prefix.  So I was merely
giving an explaination based strictly on the facts that I was able to find.  I
agree with what you said, but I couldn't find non-third-person examples to
prove it.

DloraH

Back to archive top level