tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 05:36:40 2003

Re: Qapla': Noun or Exclamation?

>In the dictionary, Qapla' is listed as a noun. Yet in
>every instance I've seen the word used (canon or
>otherwise), it's always been treated more like an
>exclamation.

The difference is: You can use any noun as an exclamation, but not the other way. Most
exclamations "stand as sentences in their own
right." (TKD 5.5)

In Terran languages, this is the same:
Nouns as exclamation:
   Greetings! Hell! Suerte! Scheisse! God! Klote! Attention!
   (different languages)

But don't forget: in Klingon grammar terms, there are only three kinds of words: verbs,
nouns, and the rest.

Quvar.

-------- Ende der weitergeleiteten Nachricht --------

Back to archive top level