tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 02:54:42 2003

Re: lugh'a' mughghachvam?

jatlh Holtej:
> "If English has a verb EV, and Klingon has a verb KV which matches the EV
> past participle (the EV-ed form), then KV + {-moH} will match EV."
>
> Is that what you're saying?

Yes, exactly! :o)

> I understand the desire to relate things to what you know in English.
> Hopefully we can help you get past it to the point where you're thinking,
> speaking and understanding in Klingon without having that extra step of
> going through English to get in the way.

Actually, I didn't make up the theory before reading the lengthy
discussions on this list. (Well, I didn't really even make it up myself,
I just put it to words. I thought "this is a fact and this is how I can
explain it".) The usage of {-moH} seemed easy to me and I thought I'd try
to explain it in simple terms. Since I figured many people here are native
English speakers (unlike myself) I thought it would be best to do it
through English. My knowledge of Klingon grammar and especially
vocabulary is so lacking that I can't just write Klingon, I have to
translate it. But when I know what a word means or how a piece of
grammar works, I don't feel at all restricted by English. Having more
than one other language to relate to (Finnish and English), I find it
easier to think of Klingon as just another language - binding words etc.
to their actual meaning, not their equivalent in DIvI' Hol. }}:-)

mulwI'

Back to archive top level