tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 11 11:01:47 2003

Re: Star Trek monologue

Tyler Fisher wrote:

>I just realised that the translation I made of the Star Trek monologue
>contained some syntax errors!
>Sorry about that. Here's the corrected version:
>
>veH Qav 'oH logh'e'.

"Space, the final frontier."  (I.e. "Space is the final frontier.")

That comes from the last sentence of of SkyBox 99 ({Qu'} "The Mission"):

   loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
   ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH.  HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH
   lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.  vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'.
   veH Qav 'oH logh'e'.

   It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown
   regions of the universe, space station Deep Space Nine is the
   gateway for the exploration, intrigue and enterprise that mark the
   continuation of the human adventure into space--the final frontier.

You might move {logh'e'} to the front of the sentence, to render the feel
of the original:

   logh'e'... veH Qav 'oH.
   As for space... it is the final frontier.

Cf. {HaqwI''e' DaH yISam} "Find the SURGEON now!" (TKD).

>'ejDo' 'entepray' lengmey bIH lengmeyvam'e'.

"These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise."  (I.e. "These voyages
are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise.")

Good.  You can omit the repeated noun in English, but not AFAIK in Klingon.

>nuDlu'meH Hujbogh qo'mey chu' Samlu'meH novpu' chu' tayqeqmey
>chu' je 'ej ghoSqu'lu'meH Daq lughoSpu'bogh pagh loDpu'
>qaStaH 'entepray' vagh DIS Qu'.

"Her five year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life
and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

With all the {-lu'meH}s, I see you modeled it on SkyBox 99.  As Okrand
frequently does, you might want to break this one very long English
sentence down into shorter Klingon sentences.  I don't have time to analyze
this now, but maybe someone else wants to.

>If you can think of any way I can improve this further, please let me know.

FYI:  While searching for the text of the original, I found a page of
translations of the opening monologue at:

www.geocities.com/bookworm1225/mst3k/trektrans.html

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons