tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 10 13:27:13 2003

Re: I too need help with Vocabulary

>From: Klingon Warrior <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: I too need help with Vocabulary
>Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:09:46 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Alright, that makes sense.  I thought qaStaHvIS should be the first thing
>said, but explain to me...is /qaStaHvIS/ more like an adverbial giving a
>time condition for the sentence or what should I consider it?  And does
>/qaStaHvIS/ always appear first?  How do I know when to use it, I'll bet a
>great many of my translations should have it and do not.  Thanks!  Oh, and
>one other thing...what is OVS?

/qaStaHvIS/ isn't some magical word.  It means just what it says: "while it
happens."

qaStaHvIS jaj
during the day

qaStaHvIS wanI'
during the event

qaStaHvIS tay
during the ceremony

Now read TKD section 6.2.3 about relative clauses.  /-vIS/ is a suffix used
in relative clauses.

qaStaHvIS jaj HoD vIlegh
HoD vIlegh qaStaHvIS jaj
During the day, I saw the captain.  (Relative clauses may come before or
after the main sentence.)

qaStaHvIS wanI' Hegh yaS
Hegh yaS qaStaHvIS wanI'
The officer died during the event.

qaStaHvIS tay Dargh tlhutlhlu'
Dargh tlhutlhlu' qaStaHvIS tay
Tea is drunk during the ceremony.

"OVS" refers to the sentence order of Klingon: Object-Verb-Subject.

SuStel
Stardate 3440.8