tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 10 15:05:29 2003

Re: lugh'a' mughghachvam?

I think what's happening in these cases is that, in English, we happen to
have a related word that already incorporates the "cause to be" meaning.
For instance, "shine" happens to mean "cause to be shiny."  "Please" happens
to mean "cause to be pleased."  But you can't always count on there being a
corresponding word in English for the {V-moH} meaning.  For instance,
{paSmoH} "cause to be late", we have a separate word "delay" that's not
related to the root word "late."  ("My flat tire caused me to be late"; "My
flat tire delayed me.").  But with "early," there's no corresponding word at
all.  {mu'eqmoH DujwIj Do} "my ships velicity caused me to be early."  We
don't have any word in English that means "cause to be early."  We just say,
"my speed made me early" or something like that (or some other recast
entirely: "I'm early because I sped.")

With some words in English, we get around this with a suffix "-ify."
{moHmoH qabDaj} "his face caused him to be ugly," or "his face uglified
him."  Same with "beautify," and so on.  But this is word play I think, and
not always productive.  You can't say "the flat tire late-ified me" or "my
speeding earlified me."

I don't think there's any easy formula here.  We have some English words
that represent a {V-moH} concept ("please," "delay"), and for some {V-moH}
words we just don't have anything that directly corresponds in English.  So
the answer, of course, is to stop thinking in English, and understand the
Klingon word for what it means by itself.  The sooner you stop looking for
the Engish equivalent to the Klingon, the faster you'll improve your skill
with the language.  (I know, I know, easier said than done.)

--
d'Armond Speers, Ph.D.
[email protected]