tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 10 14:12:47 2003

Re: lugh'a' mughghachvam?

>From: Klingon Warrior <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: lugh'a' mughghachvam?
>Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
>
>So, what you're saying is that first: verbs are sometimes nouns in their
>identical form.  Second: Verbs are never seen as nouns if they have verb
>suffixes on them.  Third: To make nouns out of verbs that have suffixes on
>them, add -ghach.
>Am I right so far, SuStel?

Yes.

>So I can't just take a verb like /muS/ (to hate) and add -ghach to it and
>make the noun "hatred, hate"???  You know, like a sentence saying, "His
>hate is destroying him."

No, you can't do that.  Rather, you can, but it's wrong.  A Klingon would
understand what you meant, but would say it was wrong.  We know this because
Okrand has told us so in HolQeD 3:3.  You cannot derive this information
just from TKD.

>  If I can't, please explain what -ghach does for verbs because I'm not
>fully understanding still.

I can say /ta'/ "accomplish."  I can say /ta'/ "accomplishment."  I can say
/ta'laH/ "able to accomplish."  I CAN'T say /ta'laH/ "ability to accomplish?
  Why not?  Because TKD tells us so.  A verb can't also be a noun if it has
a verb suffix on it.  UNLESS . . . it has /-ghach/.  The purpose of /-ghach/
is to take those verbs with suffixes that can't be nouns, and make them
"nounable" again.  I can't say /ta'laH/ "ability to accomplish," but I CAN
say /ta'laHghach/ "ability to accomplish."  /-ghach/ takes what can't be a
noun, and makes it a noun.

/muS/ is a verb.  There is no known noun /muS/, so you can't say
/muS/=hatred.  Okrand has said that you can't normally use /-ghach/ on a
verb without another suffix, and besides, the point of /-ghach/ is to
nominalize verbs that can't be nominalized because they have suffixes.
Therefore, you can't say /muSghach/.

With more context, we can construct a word.  For "His hate is destroying
him," this is pretty clearly a situation that is ongoing (hating one time
isn't going to continuously destroy you).  Thus,

ghaH Qaw'taH muStaHghachDaj
His (continual) hatred is destroying him.

You don't absolutely need /-ghach/ for this, though:

muStaHmo' Qaw'lu'taH
Because he continually hates, he is being destroyed.

SuStel
Stardate 3440.9