tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 10 13:35:13 2003

RE: lugh'a' mughghachvam?

I still disagree to some extent, Dr., and also agree to some extent.  I understand what you're saying about translations with "open" (one describes the subject being open, the other describes the object being open due to the subject).  That I get and understood already.  But my understanding of /-moH/ is that it changes the condition of the verb (a change from describing to more of an action).  I don't think we can apply the same technique with /Dal/ as we can with /open/ because there are different ways of saying the same thing in English.  (---hope that just made sense:)  Take for example the verb /web/ that is more of an adjective (be disgraced).  How would you say to someone in Klingon, "You disgraced me!"  Well, you can't with a verb that describes the subject (be disgraced).  Adding /-moH/ to the verb turns it from "be disgraced" into "to disgrace."  Right?  Hence, "you disgraced me," becomes /chowebmoH/.  Same with the verb /bel/ (be pleased).  To say "please" in Klingon, you
 might translate a sentence like this, /DubelmoHchugh/ (if it pleases you).  /bel/ has now changed from a descriptive verb to a common verb (to please, please).  What do you think?  Dal (be boring)  DalmoH (to bore)?

--Klingon Warrior
taHjaj wo'!