tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 10 07:31:37 2003

Re: lugh'a' mughghachvam?

From: "Klingon Warrior" <[email protected]>

> The sentence, /muDalmoH wanI'vam/ is really saying "This event causes me
to be boring"?  Here is how I'm looking at it, and see if you still disagree
or not.  I'm taking the verb /Dal/ which is a descriptive-condition verb (in
other words, it's condition is one that describes like an adjective).  By
placing the verb suffix -moH on it, am I not changing the meaning from "be
boring" to "to bore"?  Am I not changing its condition from one of
description to one of action?  In other words, isn't the sentence actually
saying, "This event bores me"?  If a descriptive verb like the word for "be
open" (/poS/) is changed to an action condition with -moH (/poSmoH/ = "to
open"), why isn't "be boring" changed to "bore"?  What do you think?

poS
be open

posmoH
cause to be open