tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 08:25:18 2003

Re: Qapla': Noun or Exclamation?

From: "QeS lagh" <[email protected]>
> After KGT came out, I gave some thought to the possibility of {Qapla'} as
> verb: {Qap} + {la'}, that horrible class 5 suffix SuStel and I dislike so
> much.

Well, it's not so much that I dislike the slang suffix that much.  I just
dislike people using slang as if it were an ordinary tool.  "But I meant to
use slang!"  Yeah, right; that's why it's the only instance of slang in your
entire working vocabulary . . . .

> The result was ??{Qapla'} "one is able to succeed"
>
> Might this have some etymological value?

I've occasionally wondered this myself.  Unfortunately, we have no
information about this.

SuStel
Stardate 3437.5

Back to archive top level