tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 18 16:05:39 2003

Re: Using New Words

Voragh opined:
> >    DaH DorchoH yInwIj bertlham 'ej vaj vIqaDnIS
> >    now the (very) end of my life comes to an end and so I must face it
> >
> >    DaH DorchoH yInwIj 'ej vaj bertlhamDaj vIqaD
> >    now my life comes to an end and so I face it's end
> >
> >    DaH DorchoH yInwIj 'ej tugh bertlhamDaj vIqaDnIS
> >    now my life comes to an end and soon I must face it's end
> >
> > Okay, the two "ends" are repetitive in English but it sounds better in
> > Klingon.
> >
> > Hmm... for some reason {'ej vaj} "and so" feels redundant in Klingon (but
> > not in English).  You might just use {vaj} alone.

SuStel reacted:
>No!  /vaj/ is not a sentence conjunction, it's an adverbial.  If you're
>joining sentences, you must use /'ej/ (or another sentence conjunction).

Not necessarily.  Look at these examples where - to me at least - {vaj} has
the "feel" of a conjunction, even if it is not so labelled in TKD:

   nuHlIj DawIvpu', vaj yISuv
   You have chosen your weapon, so fight! TKW

   De'vetlh vIQoy, vaj jIQuch
   I am happy to hear that information. KGT

   qaSuchlaHbe'.  jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb.
   I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped
   ("I was too late to visit you.") (st.klingon)

Notice that {vaj} comes between the two verbs, without {'ej} or any other
conjunction.

>I don't see anything redundant here.  /'ej/, according to Okrand, has no
>meaning beyond stating multiple sentences together.

I remember that discussion on startrek.klingon on 3/20/1998.  (I've
appended Okrand's response below for those interested.)  Even so, in all
sixteen examples I'm aware of {'ej} and {vaj} have never been used
together, except for

   qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhIngan ghob potlhqu'
   devotion and loyalty to family is one of the most important Klingon
virtues. S13

and that seems to be because there are two introductory {-chugh}
clauses.  In fact, following a dependent {-chugh} clause is one of the two
most common ways to use {vaj}.  The other is to use {vaj} to begin a new
sentence.